In this guide, I will show you how you can install Vudu on FireStick 4K. The steps also work for Firestick and Fire TV Cube
What is Vudu? Vudu is a streaming service that brings you premium content from various production houses and TV networks including Warner, HBO, Disney, and more. This video streaming service has been around for many years and is owned by Walmart.
What differentiates Vudu from other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime is that it is not subscription-based – rather it allows people to rent or buy digital copies of movies and TV shows.
Vudu has a huge content library, featuring thousands of movies TV shows. Apart from that, it also features anime, documentaries, and lots more.
The rental cost usually starts from as low as $0.99 cents, while the digital purchase starts at $1.99. They also offer disc +digital combos and you will often get discounts on their services.
The best part is that Vudu also has a free, ad-supported content library, featuring hundreds of free movies and TV shows.
Also Read: Best Apps for FireStick in 2020
Sign Up for Vudu (for FireStick and other devices)
To watch content on Vudu, you need to sign up for the service first. Even the free titles require you to sign in.
Follow the steps below to sign up:
1. Visit the Vudu Official Website
Important!!! If you live outside the US, you will need a VPN to access the website and Sign up. Get ExpressVPN for Computers, Mobile, FireStick, etc.
2. On the top right corner of the screen, you will see the tab Sign In. If you hover over that, you will find Create An Account option.Click on that. This is how the Sign-up page looks like:
You can enter your details manually and sign up. Alternatively, you choose to sign up with the Walmart or Facebook account.
Remember the email and the password that you have used to sign up, you will need it later to use the Vudu app
They have a limited-time offer going on their site. A new user will get their first rental only for 99 cents. The offer is valid until 1 Feb 2020.
For more information, their rentals, purchases, and other bundles check out the official Vudu site.
Method 1: How to install Vudu on FireStick from the Amazon AppStore
Vudu is now available via the official Amazon App Store if you live in the USA. This makes installing Vudu on FireStick even easier. If you are not in the US, you may follow Method 2 to sideload Vudu on FireStick, provided later in the guide.
Simply follow all the steps below to install Vudu from Amazon Store.:
1. From the FireStick home screen, click Find > Search
2. Enter the word Vudu using the on-screen keyboard. Click on Vudu from the suggestions listed below the on-screen keyboard
3. Click the Vudu app icon
4. On the next screen, click Download. Wait for Vudu to be installed on your device. This will only take a few seconds.
5. Once installed, click Open to run Vudu app
Method 2: Sideload Vudu on FireStick with Downloader
Vudu may not be available through the Amazon Store if you live outside the USA. However, you can easily sideload the app and I will show you how.
Note: If you have already installed Vudu from the Amazon Store, there is no need to follow this method.
Step 1: Get a VPN to Watch Vudu on FireStick outside the USA
Vudu is currently available only in the USA. If you are living outside the USA, the app will not let you sign up or log in to its services.
Thankfully! There is a workaround – you can use Vudu anywhere in the world with a VPN
I have used many VPNs and believe that ExpressVPN is the best VPN for streaming. It is truly safe. And, very importantly, it is lightning fast.
ExpressVPN works smoothly on FireStick. It is also available on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, and other devices. One ExpressVPN account can be used with up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Here is how you get ExpressVPN on FireStick:
1. Click HERE and sign up for ExpressVPN (you can enjoy a 49% discount with 3 extra months on the yearly plan. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee as well)
2. Choose the Search option on the home screen of your FireStick device
3. Search for ExpressVPN
4. Click ExpressVPN
5. Click Download/Get
6. Click Open
7. Sign in with your ExpressVPN account
8. Connect to a US server
Step-2: Enable Apps from Unknown Sources
As mentioned earlier, the Vudu app is not officially available on the Amazon app store. So, we have to side-load the app using the Downloader app. And to side-load, we must make some changes to the FireStick device Settings. Follow the steps below to do that:
1. First of all, go to Settings on the top menu bar from the FireStick home screen.
2. Scroll to the right and click on My Fire TV
3. On the next window, select Developer Options
4. Then click once on Apps from Unknown Sources to turn it on
5. Select Turn On to agree to the prompt
Step-3: Vudu Installation steps
Here are the steps to install Vudu on Amazon FireStick. If you already have the Downloader app on your FireStick, you can directly enter the URL mentioned below and follow from there. If you don’t, you can follow all the steps below:
1. Go back to the FireStick home screen and highlight the Search icon above
2. Using the on-screen keyboard, type the word Downloader in the search box and click on Downloader from the instant search suggestions listed below
3. Click the Downloader app icon
4. Next, click on Download to start the installation process. The Downloader app will be installed on your device within a few seconds
5. Once it the app is installed, click Open to run the Downloader app
7. When you see the prompts, first, click Allow to give the app required permission. After that, click OK to skip the Quick Start Guide
8. Click on the Address bar in the Home tab
9. Enter the following link exactly:
Tip! The FireStick mobile Remote app comes really handy when it comes to typing. So, I recommend using that here.
Disclaimer: We do not host any APKs. This link redirects to another website.
10. It will redirect to you another website http://dorkboxhd.com/
Scroll down a bit and click on VUDU for Fire TV
11. On the next page, click on Download
12. The download will start immediately. Wait for the downloading process to finish
13. Once it is downloaded, click INSTALL
14. When it is done, you will see a popup window with an App Installed notification. Unlike other apps, Vudu doesn’t allow you to open the app from here. We will be talking about how you can access the app in the next section.
How to Use Vudu on FireStick
Before you start using Vudu on FireStick, you will need to rent/buy some content.
You will need to go to the Vudu Website on a computer or mobile to rent or purchase the content. Unfortunately, you cannot do that directly from the app.
First, go to the Vudu Website and rent or buy the content you want to watch. Vudu also features free content. If you are looking for that, jump to the next section.
Here are the steps that demonstrate how to use Vudu on FireStick
1. If you live abroad (outside the USA), make sure you get a VPN and connect to a US server first
2. Press on the Home button of your FireStick remote for a few seconds and you will see a menu pop up on the screen. Click on Apps
3. Select the Vudu app and click on it once to run it
Now, let’s move on to learning how to use it.
4. When you launch the Vudu for the first time, it will require you to sign in to your account. As we have already signed up before, let’s proceed with Sign In.
5. Enter your email and password in the respective fields and click Continue
Tip! You can also sign in with your Walmart account if you have one
Reminder: If you are not in the US, you will have to use a VPN and connect to a USA server.
Upon successful sign-in, you will see this below prompt. Click on Browse Vudu
Next, you will be introduced to the home screen of Vudu APK. Here’s how it looks like:
The content you have rented/purchased will appear in the My Movies or My TV section
The sidebar has categories like My Vudu, Movie Genres, TV Genres, and Help and Settings
Help and Settings have 3 tabs:
- Parental Control: You can set a PIN and restrict usage
- Settings: It doesn’t have many features. However, you can change the style of your captions from here.
- Account: You can sign out from your account from here. Visit the official Vudu Website to customize your account, add payment method, etc.
The top bar on the right hand has the below categories:
- My Watch list– you can find the titles that you have watched before here
- My Movies– You rented and purchased Movies will show here, you can further sort them via various categories available, using the Sort and Filter feature
- My TV– You rented and purchased TV shows will show here. The Sort and Filter feature is available in this section too.
- My Wish-List– Titles that you have added to wishlist will be listed here
- My Pre-Orders– You will find Pre-ordered titles here
- My Offers
It offers a wide range of genres such as Action, Romance, Comedy, Classics and so much more in both Movies and TV shows
To watch a movie/TV show, simply click on the title. You will have the option to rent it or purchase it. The free movies and TV shows are listed in the Free section on the Website.
The Search function on the FireStick app doesn’t work. Hoping, the developers will fix the problem soon. However, there are many ways to sift through the content on Vudu, so it won’t be a problem.
How to watch free Movies with Vudu
As I said earlier, Vudu features several free movie titles. The free content is ad-supported. However, you may find it difficult to find free titles on the Vudu FireStick app.
You will need to use the Vudu website to add free movies to your Wishlist. Here are the steps:
1. Go to the Vudu Sign in page and log in with your Vudu account
2. Go to one of the ‘Free’ categories featured on the homepage and click the movie you want to watch
3. Click +Wishlist
4. Go to your FireStick and open the Vudu app
Select the option My Wishlist on the home screen
5. Click the movie you added to your Wishlist
6. Click the option Watch Free with Ads
This is how you watch free movies with Vudu on FireStick
Key Features of the Vudu App
- The app features a massive catalog of movies and TV shows
- Offers a smooth and buffer-free streaming experience even with the slow internet connection
- The user interface is compatible with remote; therefore navigation is very smooth.
- In case you don’t end up liking the content that you have rented, you also have the option to replace it with another title of your choice within the 30 minutes of the rental session
Install Vudu on FireStick and enjoy bottomless content on your Amazon device. Rent, purchase or watch for free. If you have any questions, you can post in on the comment section below and we will get back to you as soon possible.