Hi Everyone, this is Poppy, and in this tutorial, you will learn How to Update FireStick and other Fire TV devices such as Fire TV Cube and Fire TV Stick 4k.
FireStick is an excellent way to stream your favorite content online. And for your FireStick device to run efficiently, the FireOS needs to be updated regularly.
Normally, the software updates download and install automatically when the device is connected to the Internet.
However, you may also manually check and update the FireStick software. In this guide, you will learn exactly how to do that.
Tip! If the new update is available, FireStick will install it automatically only if it has been left idle for at least 30 minutes
|Device||Automatic Update Available?||Manual Update Available?|
|Fire TV Cube||Yes||Yes|
|New Fire TV Stick||Yes||Yes|
|Fire TV Stick Lite||Yes||Yes|
More Posts on FireStick
- How to rename a FireStick
- How to Get the Best VPN for FireStick
- Amazon FireStick Not Working? Here are the Solutions
- FireStick Won’t Turn on? Here are the DIY Fixes
- How to Restart Your Amazon FireStick
- How to Update Apps on your FireStick
- Is there a Monthly Fee for FireStick?
- FireStick Keeps Restarting? Here is How You Fix it
- Steps to Cast/Mirror to Your Amazon FireStick
- How to Reset a FireStick to Factory Settings
How to Update FireStick and Why
In this section, we are going to learn how to update your FireStick to the latest version. But, before that, we will also take a look at the following:
- Why should you update FireStick?
- When should you update your Amazon FireStick?
Why Should You Update FireStick?
Amazon FireStick regularly releases updates to add new features and to fix bugs.
This in turn helps in improving overall performance and streaming experience. Therefore, it is important to update FireStick regularly. Here are some noteworthy benefits of updating your FireStick:
- Bug fixes
- Enjoy new features
- Enhance user experience
- Stop apps from crashing
- Get rid of features that were added incorrectly in the previous software update
- Get your device to perform optimally
When Should You Update Your Amazon FireStick?
You may not need to update FireStick manually all the time. The FireStick automatically updates itself whenever a newer version available and your device is connected to the Internet.
However, it is good to proactively check for updates regularly to make sure your device is up-to-date.
Amazon rolls out new updates once every couple of months.
If the software doesn’t update automatically for some reason, you can always intervene and install updates manually to make sure your FireStick runs efficiently.
How to Update FireStick
As I already said, while Amazon FireStick installs software updates automatically, you also have the option to install them manually.
By installing the latest software update, you can get your device to perform optimally. Therefore, it’s essential to know how to update a FireStick.
Before we get into the steps here are a few things to remember before updating FireStick:
- For a system update to install, your Fire Stick must be connected to a reliable Internet connection.
- If you experience difficulty downloading an update, check if your internet speed is good.
- If you continue to see error messages, force-restart your device by disconnecting the power source from the FireStick for about 10 seconds and then re-connecting back in.
Steps to Update Your Amazon Fire Stick
Checking for updates and installing them is fairly simple. All you have to do is follow the steps given below:
1. Go to the top menu bar of your FireStick Home screen and choose Settings
2. Scroll to the right and choose My Fire TV
3. Click About
4. If your FireStick is up-to-date, you will see the Check for Update option.
If you have an update available, you will see the Install System Update option.
Based on what you see, click on either Check for Updates or Install System Update
5. If you clicked on Install System Update, the latest version of the software will begin to download shortly.
Wait for the updates to be downloaded and then installed.
Note: If you do not install the update at this point, the update will automatically install the next time your FireStick has been idle for more than 30 minutes.
It may take a few minutes, depending on your Internet speed.
You will see the below message on your screen that reads Installing the latest software.
Note: Please do not unplug the power cable during the update.
6. Once the installation is complete, your device will power off and then restart.
Congratulations! Your FireStick is now up-to-date.
If your FireStick does not restart itself, follow our guide How to Restart FireStick for different methods to restart your device.
Yes! If there is an update available, your device will update automatically. However, it must be left idle for at least 30 minutes for the update to install.
Yes! It is important to keep your FireStick up to date with the new OS to allow it to perform optimally. Usually, the device will update automatically and you would not even notice.
FireSticks need to be updated to ensure optimal performance and better user experience. The update will happen automatically. However, sometimes you may need to update it manually.
Your Fire Stick may not be updating due to poor Wi-Fi signal strength. Make sure that it is receiving proper signals. To check the connection status, go to Settings > Network.
Also, make sure that your FireStick is directly connected to the power source via the original power adapter.
It usually doesnt take more than a few minutes to update a FireStick. However, if it is a major update, it may take a bit longer. It also depends upon the speed of your Internet connection.
How to update FireStick: Conclusion
Now that you know How to update fFireStick, you can ensure your device is up-to-date. The method discussed in this guide is incredibly simple and will just take a few minutes. To get the optimal streaming experience on your FireStick and Fire TV devices, you will need to check for updates manually. Feel free to get in touch with us via the comments section below in case you find any difficulty with the process, we are here to help.