Hello Everyone, I am Poppy. In this guide, you will learn how to connect FireStick to Wi-Fi without remote. The steps provided in this guide also apply to all other Fire TV devices (such as FireStick Lite, Fire TV Cube, etc.)
Amazon FireStick is a cost-effective way to stream movies, TV shows, news, sports, and lots more. However, it needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to stream any kind of content. Without an Internet connection, the FireStick device is pretty much useless. FireStick remote is another important component of the FireStick. You can’t navigate the FireStick, or Wi-Fi credentials without the remote. But what happens when you lose the remote or the remote is broken and need to add a new Wi-Fi connection? How will you connect FireStick to Wi-Fi then?
Is there a way to connect firestick to Wi-Fi without remote? In this post, we will cover how you can set up Wi-Fi without the FireStick remote.
How to Connect Firestick to Wi-Fi Without Remote
If your Fire TV remote is not available with you or it’s not working, you can still connect to a new Wi-Fi connection. I have put together all the ways you can connect your FireStick to Wi-Fi without remote:
1. Use the Fire TV App as Remote
Yes, you can use the official Fire TV app to control your Firestick. It has all the features of a FireStick remote. You can do everything with the Fire TV app that you did with the remote. If you are not using the app already, you must install this app right away. It’s a pretty handy app when you don’t have the FireStick remote with you. The only requirement is that the app must be connected same Wi-Fi network as the FireStick.
You will find the app on both Android and Apple. Simply follow the steps given below to set up the Fire TV app with your FireStick device:
IMPORTANT: Your FireStick and the Smartphone where you are installing the app must be on the same network. Otherwise, the app will not work.
1. Access the Google Play Store or App Store on your smartphone and install the Fire TV app by AMZN Mobile LLC.
2. Once installed, open the app
3. To Sign in, enter your Amazon account username and password. Make sure this Amazon account is linked to the FireStick device you are trying to connect to.
4. At the bottom of the screen, there will be a list of available Fire TV devices. Tap on your FireStick device name to pair.
5. A 4-digit connection request code will appear on your FireStick screen
6. Enter this 4-digit code on the Fire TV app on your smartphone.
7. Upon successful pairing, the app looks like this:
Now, you can use your phone as the Amazon FireStick remote and connect the FireStick to a Wi-Fi.
2. Create an Identical Hotspot as your Home Wi-Fi
The small size of the FireStick has made it extremely easy to carry. This portability has influenced many people to carry their FireStick along with them whenever they are traveling. This way you just need to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and gain access to your favorite streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, etc. Once Wi-Fi is connected to your FireStick device, you will be able to stream your favorite movies and TV shows from exactly where you left off.
But it can be difficult if you forgot your remote at home. When you are away from home without the remote, connecting the app with the FireStick would require a lit bit more effort. The steps may seem confusing at first, however, if you follow them carefully, you shall have your FireStick connected to a wi-fi network just in a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do:
You need one smartphone/ device as a wireless hotspot. You may borrow this device from someone if you don’t have a spare one, you will only need it for a few minutes.
- Change the SSID and password to the same credentials as your home network that your FireStick was previously connected to. It will trick the FireStick into connecting to the hotspot automatically.
- On a second device, install the Amazon Fire TV app and connect it to the hotspot you created at the beginning.
- Now, both the devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Now, the device with the Fire TV app will be able to control the FireStick
- Use the app to connect your FireStick to the hotel, or Airbnb WiFi network
- Now, you may turn off the hotspot on the first device and continue using the second device as the remote.
3. Use your Smart TV remote to connect FireStick to Wif-Fi
Your TV’s remote can be used to control your FireStick, provided your TV supports the HDMI-CEC feature. Almost all the smart TV has this feature. For this to work, you need to enable the HDMI-CEC within your Fire TV. It’s usually enabled by default. However, it is a good idea to confirm it first. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to Settings
2. Then, click Display & Sound.
3. Make sure HDMI-CEC is ON. If not, click it once to turn it on.
You may need to enable the HDMI-CEC on your TV as well. However, not all TV manufacturers call it the HDMI-CEC feature. For your convenience, I am providing a list of the most used TV brands along with their HDMI-CEC feature name:
- Philips: EasyLink
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
- Panasonic: EZ-Sync, VIERA Link, or HDAVI Control
- LG: SimpLink
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Toshiba: Regza Link, or CE-Link
FAQs- How to Connect Firestick to Wi-Fi Without Remote
Yes, you can connect Firestick to Wi-Fi without remote. There are quite a few ways to do it. We have covered all of them in this guide.
One way is to trick the FireStick by creating an identical hotspot as your home Wifi network. And another way is to use the TV remote with the HDMI-CEC feature. The second and the third solutions provided in this guide cover all the steps in detail.
So, these are the ways to connect firestick to Wi-Fi without remote. Both Wifi and remote are essential to make the FireStick work effectively. These workarounds will allow you to continue streaming with FireStick even without the remote.
Do let us know if you face any trouble in connecting to the Wi-Fi via the comments section below.
How to Fix FireStick Black Screen
How to Clear Cache on FireStick
How to Install Rokkr on FireStick
How to Install AOS TV App on FireStick
How to Fix FireStick Not Working Issue
How to Jailbreak a FireStick