Hello Everyone, I am Poppy. In this guide, you will learn how to connect FireStick to Wi-Fi without remote. The steps provided in this guide also apply to all other Fire TV devices (such as FireStick Lite, Fire TV Cube, etc.)
Amazon FireStick is a cost-effective way to stream movies, TV shows, news, sports, and lots more.
However, it needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to stream any kind of content. Without an Internet connection, the FireStick device is pretty much useless.
FireStick remote is another important component of the FireStick. You can’t navigate the FireStick, or Wi-Fi credentials without the remote.
Is there a way to connect firestick to Wi-Fi without a remote? In this post, we will cover how you can set up Wi-Fi without the FireStick remote.
How to Connect Firestick to Wi-Fi Without Remote
If your Fire TV remote is not available to you or it’s not working, you can still connect to a new Wi-Fi connection. I have put together all the ways you can connect your FireStick to Wi-Fi without remote:
1. Create an Identical Hotspot as your Home Wi-Fi
FireStick is lightweight and compact making it easy to carry with you.
You can always pack your FireStick in your travel bag and use it in the hotel room.
But it can be difficult if you forgot your remote at home. You cannot use the FireStick remote app on your mobile phone to connect to Wi-Fi.
That’s because both FireStick and mobile must be connected to the same Wi-Fi. And, your FireStick isn’t connected to any Wi-Fi at this point.
Thankfully, it is still possible with the mobile data on your phone.
Let’s assume your FireStick was connected to your home Wi-Fi before you brought it to the hotel.
What you need to do now is create a mobile Hotspot on your phone with the same username and password as your home Wi-Fi.
The steps may seem confusing at first, however, if you follow them carefully, you shall have your FireStick connected to Wi-Fi without a remote in a few minutes.
Note: You need a second smartphone to download FireStick Remote App. You may borrow this device from someone if you don’t have a spare one, you will only need it for a few minutes.
- Plug in your FireStick and connect it to the TV. Wait for it to load completely
- On your mobile phone, create a Wi-Fi hotspot with the same SSID and password as your home Wi-Fi (to which your FireStick was connected.)
- It will trick the FireStick into connecting to the hotspot automatically. Meaning, your FireStick is now connected to a Wi-Fi from your mobile Hotspot
- Install the Amazon Fire TV app on the second phone
- Connect the second phone to the mobile Hotspot you created on your phone
- Now, your FireStick and the second phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (which is your mobile Hotspot.)
- You can now use Amazon Fire TV app on the second phone to control your FireStick
- Using the Amazon Fire TV remote app on the second phone, navigate to Settings > Network on your FireStick
- Connect your FireStick to the hotel, or Airbnb WiFi network
- You may now return the second phone if it was borowed
- Turn off the mobile Hotspot on your phone and connect it to the hotel/AirBnb Wi-Fi
- Download the Amazon Fire TV app on your phone (if you haven’t done that already) and use it to control your FireStick as a remote
2. Use your Smart TV remote to connect FireStick to Wif-Fi
Your TV’s remote can be used to control your FireStick, provided your TV supports the HDMI-CEC feature.
Almost all smart TVs have this feature these days.
HDMI-CEC must be enabled on your FireStick for this to work. Thankfully, it is enabled by default.
You may need to enable the HDMI-CEC on your TV as well. However, not all TV manufacturers call it the HDMI-CEC feature. For your convenience, I am providing a list of the most used TV brands along with their HDMI-CEC feature name:
- Philips: EasyLink
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
- Panasonic: EZ-Sync, VIERA Link, or HDAVI Control
- LG: SimpLink
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Toshiba: Regza Link, or CE-Link
To check whether HDMI CEC is enabled on your FireStick, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings
2. Then, click Display & Audio.
3. Make sure HDMI-CEC is ON. If not, click it once to turn it on.
FAQs- How to Connect Firestick to Wi-Fi Without Remote
Yes, you can connect Firestick to Wi-Fi without remote. There are quite a few ways to do it. We have covered all of them in this guide.
One way is to trick the FireStick by creating an identical hotspot as your home Wifi network. And another way is to use the TV remote with the HDMI-CEC feature. The second and the third solutions provided in this guide cover all the steps in detail.
So, these are the ways to connect firestick to Wi-Fi without remote. Both Wifi and remote are essential to make the FireStick work effectively. These workarounds will allow you to continue streaming with FireStick even without the remote.
Do let us know if you face any trouble in connecting to the Wi-Fi via the comments section below.