Hi, this is Nick and, in this post, I will show you how to install and use the ExpressVPN FireStick app.
ExpressVPN is widely considered as the best VPN for FireStick. ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN; faster than any other VPN I have used. It also provides airtight security to your streaming activities with the Military-grade encryption technology.
ExpressVPN has created customized apps for the currently available Fire TV devices including:
- FireStick 2nd Generation
- FireStick 4K
- Fire TV Cube
It also works on some older Fire TV models that are no longer available in the market.
Why ExpressVPN for FireStick?
Your choice of a VPN for FireStick relies on certain essential parameters, including speed, privacy, security, and more. ExpressVPN checks on all counts.
User-friendly app for FireStick: ExpressVPN has an easy to install and even easier to use app for FireStick. You can download the app from the Amazon Store.
Speed: Our countless tests have revealed that ExpressVPN is the fastest FireStick VPN. And, you need a fast VPN for streaming. All VPNs drop internet speed as they have to reroute your traffic through encrypted servers. But, ExpressVPN loses it the least. Therefore, it is widely considered as the most streaming-friendly VPN.
Privacy & Security (surveillance-safe): ExpressVPN employs Military-level technology to encrypt your internet connection. Therefore, there is no slipping through the security holes for there are none. Your streaming activity is one hundred percent secure, private, and anonymous.
ExpressVPN keeps no log of your data (absolutely zero). Furthermore, it is based in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). No surveillance organizations have any jurisdiction in BVI.
Servers/locations: ExpressVPN has tons of servers to choose from. In fact, there are more than 3000 servers in the USA, UK, Canada, India, and dozens of other locations.
Additional Security: ExpressVPN comes with a flawless Kill-Switch mechanism that instantly blocks your internet connection when the connection from the VPN server drops or when you are switching servers. There are no IP leaks and no DNS leaks that could give your identity away to the authorities.
Unblocking Netflix and other streaming platforms: ExpressVPN for FireStick gives you a border-less streaming experience by removing geo-restrictions. You can unblock services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and others from any region.
Connection & devices: When you buy ExpressVPN for FireStick, you aren’t just buying it for FireStick.
One subscription of ExpressVPN can be used on up to 5 devices at the same time. You can secure Android TV, Android Mobile, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, Routers, and more devices.
24/7 Customer Support: Contact ExpressVPN 24/7 via Live Chat or Email. Get in touch with them whenever you need help of any kind.
How to install ExpressVPN on FireStick
As I said, ExpressVPN FireStick app is easy to install, set up, and use. Here are the steps:
2. Choose the Search option on the home screen of FireStick
3. Type ExpressVPN and click it
4. Select and click the ExpressVPN tile on the next window
5. Click Get or click Download
6. ExpressVPN FireStick app will download
7. Click Open to start the app
How to get started with ExpressVPN on FireStick and secure your device
Let us now get started with the FireStick ExpressVPN app. Follow these steps:
1. Open the ExpressVPN app and go to the login window
Sign in to ExpressVPN with your subscription email address and password
2. Choose OK or No Thanks
I usually click No Thanks
3. Click OK on this window
4. Click OK on this Connection Request prompt
All VPNs trigger this prompt
5. ExpressVPN FireStick app will recommend a Smart Location (usually based on your actual location)
Click the connect button and connect to the suggested location
6. If you want to connect to any other server/location, click the section where it says Smart Location
7. ExpressVPN displays this window
By choosing the Recommended tab on the top, you can quickly connect to one of the ExpressVPN recommended locations
8. For instance, if you want to connect to one of the recommended locations in the USA, click the “>” button on the right
9. And, choose one of the locations
10. When you are connected to VPN, this is how the home screen of ExpressVPN for FireStick will look like
11. If you want to explore more options, get back to this window and click the ALL LOCATIONS tab on the top
You may now choose the locations from the following categories:
- Asia Pacific: To choose locations in countries like India, Singapore, Japan, Australia, etc.
- Americas: For locations in the US, Canada, Mexico, and South American countries
- Europe: For servers in the UK, Italy, France, etc.
- Middle East and Africa: Includes servers in South Africa, Israel, Egypt, Kenya, and more
Additional Features of ExpressVPN on FireStick app
Click the 3-line menu (hamburger menu) in the top-left section of the home screen of ExpressVPN FireStick app
Click Settings in the menu
These are the options you would find in the VPN Settings section:
- Network Protection
- Split Tunneling
- VPN Protocol
The Auto-connect section has the following two options to connect to the last VPN location you connected to:
- When Android starts up (recommended): Reconnects to the last location when FireStick reboots
- When joining networks not listed as trusted: Automatically secures FireStick on Wi-Fi networks you haven’t listed as trusted, such as public Wi-Fi connections
In the Network Protection section, these are the two options:
- Internet Access: ALWAYS keep it enabled. This is the Kill-Switch feature that blocks the internet when you can’t connect or reconnect to a VPN. For instance, it will block the internet when the VPN connection drops due to, say, a server error
- Local Network: Allows you to remain connected to the local devices even if the VPN is connected. I keep this option enabled.
Split Tunneling offers the following connection choices:
- All apps use the VPN (default)
- Do not allow selected apps to use the VPN: If you would like some apps to rather stay connected to the internet directly via your ISP, you can select them here
- Only allow selected apps to use the VPN: If you want to use the VPN only with selected apps, you can choose those apps here. The other apps will continue using your ISP
The VPN Protocol section lets you choose one of the following three protocols:
- Automatic: Chooses the best protocol for you based on your internet connection and other factors. This is the recommended setting for most users
- UDP: It is the most common VPN protocol for ExpressVPN. If you selected Automatic, it is likely that ExpressVPN is choosing the UDP protocol automatically for you
- TCP: Choose this only when you know exactly what you are doing
Using Privacy and Security Tools of ExpressVPN
This is the section where we can run some diagnostics and check whether ExpressVPN on FireStick is working safely for you.
Click the menu button in the top-left corner
Click Privacy & Security Tools
These are the options you would want to take a look at:
- IP Address Checker: To check if your IP address and location are hidden
- DNS Leak Test: Check whether your DNS is leaking
- WebRTC Leak Test: To make sure WebRTC is not leaking your IP address
The IP Address Checker option tells you whether or not your IP is exposed
If your IP is exposed, you can connect to an ExpressVPN server on FireStick and secure your device
The DNS Leak Test will show you whether your DNS is exposed or leaking
By connecting to ExpressVPN, you prevent DNS leaks
Also, take the WebRTC Leak Test to ascertain there are no security cracks
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for FireStick because it offers super-fast speed and a highly secure connection. It is a perfect tool to stream your favorite content with complete peace of mind. ExpressVPN has tailor-made its app for the Fire TV devices. It is not just easy to install but also super easy to use.
FAQs for ExpressVPN FireStick app
Yes! You can easily put ExpressVPN on FireStick using the steps provided in this guide. The ExpressVPN FireStick app is available through the Amazon Store.
It is legal to use ExpressVPN (or any other VPN) in the US and most countries.
Upon opening the ExpressVPN app, you will see ‘Connected’ status. Also, if you will check the IP address in a FireStick browser you will see a different IP address from the one provided by your ISP.
ExpressVPN FireStick app and other apps automatically update on your device. Go to Settings > Applications > Appstore and make sure ‘Automatic Updates’ is ON.
Yes! ExpressVPN works with Amazon Prime and other streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.