Hello Everyone, I am Nick and in this article, you will learn how to pair FireStick remote to FireStick device. The methods provided in this guide can be used to pair remotes for Fire TV Stick 2nd generation, FireStick 4K, and other Fire TV devices available on the market. You will also find the steps to unpair FireStick remote later in this guide.
Amazon FireStick and Fire TV devices provide us an easy and cost-effective way to stream movies, TV shows, Live TV, and more. And the Amazon FireStick Remote is an integral part of the device. Without the remote, it’s almost impossible to control the device. Therefore, it is important to learn how to pair FireStick remote to the TV so you can start binge-watching your favorite movies and shows.
So, let’s discuss the different ways you can program FireStick remote to the Device.
Related Guide: FireStick Won’t Turn On: How to Fix
How to Sync, Program, or Pair FireStick Remote
It’s incredibly easy to pair FireStick remote. Whether you call it sync, program, or pair, it’s all the same. In most cases, the FireStick comes paired with the device out of the box, and pressing one or two buttons would do the job. However, in some cases, you may need to manually program a FireStick remote. I have covered a few possible situations where you may be required to pair FireStick remote to FireStick:
1. How to Sync/Pair FireStick Remote During the FireStick Set-Up Process
When you initially set up FireStick/ Fire TV, you need to pair FireStick remote. You can easily do that by following the on-screen instructions. We have a detailed guide on How to Set Up Amazon FireStick/Fire TV; you can check that out for more information. I am sharing the remote setup process here as well. Here’ how to pair FireStick remote to FireStick while setting it up:
1. On your FireStick remote, press the Home button to pair the remote with the device
2. Next, press the Play/Pause button to continue
3. After that, you will be required to choose your preferred language, connect to a Wi-Fi network, sign in with an Amazon account, etc. Please follow the on-screen instructions to complete the steps.
3. When you see this process below on the screen, it means now FireStick is preparing to set up the remote. Now, wait until you see the next prompt.
4. In the next step, you need to turn up the TV volume using your TV remote . Once you have done that, click Next using your FireStick remote.
5. With the FireStick remote pointed at your TV, toggle the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons.
6. If the volume changed as expected, click Yes
If not, choose No to repeat the process until you get the desired results.
7. You will see this below notification when your FireStick remote is successfully set up. Click OK to continue.
2. How to Sync a New Remote/ Pair Existing Remote When It Gets Unpaired
Sometimes, your remote can get unpaired due to some glitch. Or you may have just gotten a replacement remote. In such cases, you can easily pair remote just by pressing on a button. Here’s how you do it:
1. Unplug your FireStick device and then re-plug it in after 10 seconds.
2. When you see the home screen, your remote is ready for pairing.
3. Press and hold the FireStick remote’s Home Button for 20 seconds. You will see a message at the bottom of your TV screen when it has successfully paired.
Note: If the FireStick remote won’t pair the first time, repeat this process until the FireStick remote is paired.
3. How to Pair a Second Remote / Amazon Fire Stick Remote Replacement Pairing
Amazon FireStick can be paired with more than one remote. Here’s what you need to do to add a second remote to your Fire TV device:
1. Go to Settings from the top panel of your FireStick Home screen
2. Click on Controllers & Bluetooth Devices
3. Next, choose Amazon Fire TV Remotes
4. On the next screen, click on Add New Remote
5. Press and hold the new remote’s Home button for 10 seconds. FireStick will now look for a new remote
6. When the new remote is found, you will see it in the list of remotes. Using your existing remote, press the Select button to confirm the new remote pairing
Note: If you don’t have more than one remote, you can even use the Fire TV app to pair another remote. You can find out more about it in the next section.
7. A message will appear when the remote is paired successfully.
4. How to Pair Your Smartphone as Remote
If your old remote is not working and you don’t have a replacement just as yet, you can simply use your mobile phone as the Fire TV remote. The app is available for both Android and iOS devices.
I am offering quick instructions here. However, if you are looking for more detailed infromation, follow our guide on How to use your mobile phone as FireStick remote.
Here’s how you can pair the App with your FireStick:
1. Download and install the Amazon Fire TV app on your Smartphone
Note: Keep in mind that your FireStick device and the Smartphone (where you have installed the app) need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network in order for the app to work.
2. Run the app and you will see the list of Fire TV devices at the bottom of your app screen. Click on the device you want to connect to.
3. Provide your login credentials and sign in to your Amazon Account
4. Your Fire TV device will display a code on its screen; enter that code on the app and soon the app will be synced with your FireStick. That is all, now you can use your Smartphone to control your Fire TV. The app has all the controls of a remote.
You can either use your phone as a remote control, or you can even use it to pair a second remote by following the steps provided in the previous section.
How to Unpair FireStick Remote
You can pair up to seven remote controllers to your FireStick. Hence, if you have already reached the limit and want to add a new remote, you will need to un-pair one of them so you can add a new remote. Or, you may just have more than one remote synced with your same FireStick device and you don’t use that remote and you want to unpair it.
In both cases, you can unpair one remote easily using another remote. You can also use the Fire TV application to unpair a remote. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Click on Settings on the top panel of your FireStick Home screen
2. Click on Controllers & Bluetooth Devices
3. Next, choose Amazon Fire TV Remotes
4. After that, highlight the remote name that you want to unpair.
5. And then press the Menu button(button with 3 lines) using the other remote/ Fire TV app.
5. Then press the Select button to confirm un-pairing.
If your remote stops working and you don’t know how to fix it, you can check out our Guide “How to fix FireStick Remote Issues.”
To pair Amazon FireStick remote, press and hold the Amazon FireStick Remote’s Home Button for 20 seconds. When the pairing is complete, you will see a notification in the lower right corner of the FireStick screen acknowledging the same.
Here’s how you reset the FireStick remote: With your FireStick unplugged, hold down the Left button on the navigation ring and the Menu button simultaneously. Then, take out the batteries of your remote. The next step is the plug the FireStick back in, put the batteries back in the remote. FireStick remote is reset at this point. Finally, press the remote Home button for 20 seconds to pair it again.
Press and hold the Menu button, back button, and the left navigation key on the remote at the same time for 20 seconds. You will be able to use your remote to navigate the FireStick now. However, keep in mind that your FireStick needs to be connected to the internet to stream any content. You may also use your Smartphone as a Hotspot if you do not have Wi-Fi.
If you have more than one FireStick, unplug the one that you do not want to use. Then, hold down the Home button on your remote until you see the remote paired notification on your FireStick screen. You can do the same with other FireStick as well.
You can download the Amazon Fire TV app and use it as your remote. The app is available for Android or iOS.
Try unplugging your FireStick then plug it back in after a minute. You may also use the Fire TV app to pair your remote.
So, these are the ways you can pair FireStick remote. It is incredibly easy. Simply follow the instructions given in this guide to pair any FireStick remote to your TV.
If you face difficulty following any step or have any unique issue, please share them with us in the comments section below. We will help you at the earliest possible.